Thursday, October 11, 2012

Blog Post #7

Why Does the Networked Student Even Need a Teacher?
The Networked Student
The connectivism video we watched shines a light on a new type of teaching. The teaching method discussed in this video is similar to what we are doing in Dr. Strange's class. Within this method the teacher is simply an instructor that guides the student along their own path of learning. There is no text book. The student gains tools to utilize by making connections with his classmates. He builds his own network of information and shares it through blogs with his classmates. With this teaching method the student becomes more self-reliant and more interactive with his peers. He learns to navigate and search through the information on the internet more accurately.

The video brings up the question, "If a student is becoming so self-sufficient in the classroom, why is a teacher even necessary?" The educator becomes the guiding hand that shows the student how to build his network. The teacher offers assistance when the student becomes stuck or lost. The teacher helps the student differentiate between reliable information and propaganda. The teacher also helps the student organize his thoughts and information so he can better understand what he is learning. More or less, the teacher is there for support and guidance. I am beginning to believe this is a more effective approach to teaching.

Honestly, when I first heard about Dr. Strange's class I thought it was going to be a complete waste of my time. As I move through the assignments and watch the videos and read the material that is being assigned to me, I am starting to see why he runs his class the way he does. His classroom is a good example of how "connectivism" works. I have learned more about my future profession through this class than any course I have taken so far in my college career. I am learning how to express my thoughts more clearly than I did when I took English Composition as a freshman. The point of this rambling is that you don't need a text book to learn. You don't need a teacher standing over you. All you need is to be given the right tools and guided in the right direction and let yourself discover the rest. The networked student can learn far more than a textbook student because they are not being taught just to regurgitate information. I am moving through this course on my own, with some help from my peers, and I'm retaining the information.

A Seventh Grade Student's PLE
A Seventh Grader's PLE
This littler girl walks us through her personal learning environment to show us how her seventh grade paperless science class is conducted day-to-day. She uses a personal page to organize all of her educational information and social networking cites. It is very similar to how we conduct business in Dr. Strange's class. We organize all of our thoughts and opinions through Blogger. To access our class assignments, we have to go through our class blog just like the little girl in the video. I am growing more and more partial to this type of learning environment. I feel I have learned, and retained, more about my field of study through this type of learning than I have with any other class. The students in that seventh grade class will benefit greatly from that PLE. Whether or not I would be able to manage a classroom with this type of style is still up in the air.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Hillary!

    I'm glad that you feel the way you do about Dr. Strange's class. I felt the same way in the beginning and I heard horrible things about the class. I was dreading taking the course. Now that I'm in it I love it. It is exciting and never ending new information. What's even better about it is that all the information is retainable! Dr. Strange believes in what Wendy does no burp back information.
    The more we learn from the internet the more I question of why are teachers needed! As I watched the video I felt a lot better. Because the students do need us! We are there as guides not teachers! This is because the students are teaching themselves and we are just filtering out the information. The point is that we are still needed!
    In the little girls video she has a lot of buttons, and she is able to keep up with everything that she has. It is a fun way to learn and keep up with assignments. This also gives the younger students the responsibilty to make sure their assignments are on time. This is the one thing that students young or old crave for.
    I really did like your blog and there was a few mistakes such as;

    You spelt Dr. Strange's name wrong in paragraph 3 and,
    The first sentence doesn't seemed to be worded right.

    Thanks for the post keep up the good work!

    Courtney Block

    ReplyDelete